Monday, February 8, 2010

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

Okaaaaayyyy....

I'm not much of a fan of football (as in the NFL not soccer) but I went to watch the Blind Side on Saturday, the day before the super bowl. That's probably why the theater was more crowded than I thought it would be. It's been in theaters for quite a while and I wonder why I haven't gone to see it sooner because it's a really good movie. The fact that it's a true story made it really worth watching as well. I found myself almost in tears a few times during the movie because it was touching. Movies that are about family and such have a soft spot for me. 

However, what I wanted to talk about has nothing to do with the movie but more about the superbowls. The superbowls is famous for its commercials. Companies come up with their best advertisements during the superbowl season. I'm actually more interested in the commercials than the actual games because I don't understand football at all and I'm not much of a sports fan either. Anyways, they're usually very funny and entertaining so I went to check some out on youtube and for some reason, I felt slightly offended by most of the advertisements I found. I know football is a very 'masculine' sport and most of its fans are probably dudes (although I'm sure there are a lot of girls who like it as well. I know my Physics teacher is a fan) so the ads were mostly aimed at dudes but, really, it felt like I could smell the testosterone flowing out of my computer screen. It was all about men being tough and in control and women tended to be just sexy eye candy. I don't know if I'm over thinking things and I'll admit I'm a feminist but the problem was I was getting the same vibe not only from one or two ads but A LOT of them. Guys have their rights to have fantasies featuring hot female models, but so do girls. And I'm definitely not saying that girls aren't, ehm ... lewd as well (we can be if we want to be) but what I don't like is when that's the only way women are portrayed; sexy eye candy who are either stupid, don't have a will of their own or have less power than men. Pshh....Where did respect go? Maybe I'll go grab a playgirl magazine and start violating men in my fantasies as well.

Seriously? I'm sure not all guys out there are insecure or feel threatened when they see a strong female character. Otherwise, that's pretty pathetic. If you have issues with your ego don't put women down (in something so public such as advertisements where the focus should be the product NOT utilizing the fact that sex sells) just because you don't feel confident about yourself. It's firckin 2010! I hope we're not progressing backwards into an era when women have to fight for their rights again. In some places of the world, women still have to fight for their rights.

Speaking of rights, Women's Ski Jumping is still banned from the Olympics. When I read about this I felt like screaming: "Are you f***ing serious?" and I don't really swear that often. I didn't know much about ski jumping before I read the article but the fact that there are many women out there who work so hard at their sport and REALLY want to compete on the Olympic stage but can't because some bureaucratic old men  thinks it's too dangerous for women or it's not popular enough to be featured in the Olympics, really pissed me off. There are women out there who join the army and do dangerous things right next to guys and they think women can't handle ski jumping? If it's not popular enough then featuring it in the Olympics will make it more popular. I can't believe how weak their arguments were. This is obvious discrimination and a clear violation of human rights. I'm beginning to wonder what era I'm living in again. 

I guess all the women of the world could come together and protest against the many discrimination that they face but it won't make much difference unless guys out there are willing to step out of their comfort zone of power and help make the change too. Guys, if you're not just a bunch of cowards, be a man and do the right thing. Show RESPECT equally. 



No comments:

Post a Comment